What we can and cannot do
Assisting Australians overseas within limits.
Travel information for Australians
Be Informed. Be Prepared.
Information about DFAT’s registration service is also available on Smartraveller.
24-hour consular emergency service
FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY, Australian citizens requiring urgent assistance outside normal Embassy opening hours, including weekends and public holidays:
- Call the Australian Embassy at +43 1 506 74-0 and follow the instructions to be put through to the 24 hour Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra. Alternatively, call the Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra directly on (+61 2) 6261 3305.
- Non urgent enquiries can be made by email to email@example.com
- Further information on where to get help can be found at Smartraveller
Living in Country
A gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services.
Returning to Australia
Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.
The Australian Embassy provides the following notarial services:
- Witnessing of Signatures
- Certifying copy of a document
- Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage
- Witnessing of Signatures on Driving Licence Kits
- Legalisation of signatures and/or seals on Australian public documents (apostilles and authentications)
Please bring your valid passport or ID card and the original documents to the appointment.
Please ensure that documents relating to the notarial services you require from the Australian Embassy are presented in the correct form and that you provide the correct instructions for the notarial service you require. If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to the notarial service you require, you should seek independent legal advice. Please note that neither the Australian Government nor the Australian Embassy in Vienna guarantees the legal effectiveness of the notarised document or the accuracy of its content. Fees paid for notarial services are non-refundable.
Passport application interviews and notarial services at the Embassy in Vienna are offered by appointment only.
The Australian Passports (Application Fees) Determination 2015 provides for the annual CPI indexation of Australian travel document fees on 1 January each year.
Passport fees applicable from 1 January 2019 are:
- 10-year passport for persons aged 16 and over - $293
- 5-year passport for children under 16 years and persons aged 75 and over - $148
- emergency passport overseas - $184
- replacement passport - $184
- priority processing fee - $215
- adult overseas surcharge - $132
- child overseas surcharge - $64
Passport fees are charged in Euro in Vienna. Please refer to the appointment booking portal for up-to-date fees in Euro.
To complete your passport application, please visit the Australian Passports Office website.
Passport and Notarial Services Outreach
Australian Embassy staff visit Budapest for passport and notarial services outreach. This may remove the requirement for you to visit Vienna to lodge a passport application or receive notarial services assistance. Please refer to this page for updates on the next scheduled visit and for instructions on bookings.
Next Planned Visit: approximately October / November 2019
Payment for services
Current fees for passport and notarial services are shown in our online appointment system.
Payment can be made in person at the time of the appointment. Payment by credit card or bankcard is preferred. Where not attending in person, payment by credit card can be arranged via a payment authorisation form. If payment by credit card is not possible, please contact the Consular Section at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.